Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Studio 2020 resolutions as of May 26


Looking at my list again -   and so far I have accomplished nothing   - I did sit for about 1/2 hour made some beds ,    sort of moved stuff around  at the doorway to make it more accessible  but  nothing really  was done yet  - maybe this weekend I could  work on  #4  and 5  but the weekends go so fast  - now its too hot  rather than too cold   I hope I get things moving soon so I can start making stock



Wednesday, May 13, 2020

More Dragon Claws

Prepping more dragon claws but with  Turquoise  Tint   and same xfine Teal Glitter from Spin it





Dragon Skin Cup - and Claws

Well the dragon skin cup may have been messed up but I got my mold for my dragon claws and just had to try it out .
I mixed up some ART RESIN  and added a few drops of green ART RESIN TINT  and some Spin It  xfine teal glitter
O MY I love them
the Bird skul was leftover  from the mix  I poured into a mold 

De molded beautifully 

Spin it xfine Teal Glitter (love this stuff ) 

a few drops of the Resin Tint  Green


I used  Gold Nail Polish as base coat for nail colors - then I'll put a black patina and then glossy red for blood 

What are they for  - hopefully to be placed on a dragon skin cup  - not quite sure yet how but maybe something like this  (saw a video and loved the idea ) 


Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Dragon Skin Resin Cup

another technique I wanted to do was the dragon skin cup  - looked great

Wished I had some color shift glitter or  the rustoleum  color shift spray paint - but  none available right away  so I painted an already sprayed white cup with some acrylic color shift paints from michaels (curbside pick up )

I painted the cup  the  Green Flash and sponged on some of the  aqua Flash  to give it some contrast 
took picture in sunlight to see if I could see the shift -  sort of ......

then the magic happens 
You need a uv light - I had my nail/stamp uv unit , some UV resin , a cup with water and dish soap in and a straw 
I found I was more or less juggling  to hold the cup  and put the bubbles on  so next time going to put it on the turner  (without it being on )  and that should make it easier to handle 

so I applied a small seciton of uv resin,   blue my bubbles  and grabbed and just put over the resin - then shone the uv light on it - for about 2 minutes after this I only went max 1 min as it cured quickly 
then this is what happened - voila 
I was so impressed and it was easy - or will be easier the next time to handle and work with 




Alcohol Ink and Saran Wrap Resin Cups

Another Technique - 
I started with  white spray painted cups
I got a baking tray and layed out  a length of saran wrap (filled the tray length and it was a large baking tray )  I sort of pinched the saran wrap so it did NOT lay flat -
I then  spritzed  alcohol inks  - using this chart  to select three colors
if it looks familiar its the same chart I used when using alcohol inks with my  recycled tempered glass trays 

started at one end and rolled the cup in the saran - as I came to the end I lifted the first end up about 1 inch and continued rolling so that there would be no seam - sort of squished it a bit  and let dry 
its sort of crispy when dry and just  took off saran 
this is the  Mariner mix - was afraid it was going to be dark but came out beautifully 
this was the Valley Trail mix - but I did not use enough  (this was 1st try - the above was 2nd ) 
I just did another  inking and rolled same cup  in another saran wrap and it came out fine 
Looks great 

to do the bottoms I just cut a square and scrunched it and put on the alcohol inks - set the bottom on and then turned it upside down to dry  - worked great 
the I put 1st coat of resin on the cups 
Here they are with 1st coat of resin 











In the Studio

Well I ventured up to the studio and made a path to my lampwork station and sat down
I gathered a few things - made sure my glasses were there, some mandrels and glass I could play with - some other tools  - checked the propane  and connected it , ran the oxy cons for a few minutes - and flipped the switch on the kiln

fot it to start to ramp up 
Then put my glasses on  - then took them off to clean the dust off (been sitting for a while )  and I grabbed a mandrel and started 
I looked at my stock 
I thnk I have more than enough Boro and 104  (and a few others ) to keep me busy for a while although I have seen some new colors I would like to try 

so I just sate and made a few beads  then (luckily ) I grabbed the instructions on how to run the annealing cylce on my kiln (cause I can never remember unless I am lampworking every day  on how to turn it off -  
set it and forget it !
Next morning  I switch off kiln and voila 
not the greatest beads but  something to start with 
Next visit I need to plan  what I am going to work on - probably fish