Etched Copper and Alcohol Inks

I have a bunch of alcohol inks I've had for years (yes years - maybe 10?)  so I decided to do some test pieces.


I poured different colours

this one was a single color

this one a mix

after drying - sanded and then dipped in permalac ef - note that the permalac thined the colors and it ran - sort of looked cool as these alcohol inks are transparent - I like the effect 

the single color although not as vibrant as the other patinas - gives a different kind of effect 

this sampler came out really nice with the red/orange/yellow the centre of this piece is not as deep so it did not keep color when sanded - I could fix - but these were to give me an idea of what I can do with the alcohol inks.



6 comments:

  1. I have similar results with the alcohol inks. They like to bleed! I really like the colors you got in the last one! I'm still looking for the best way to seal them. I read somewhere that they need to be heat-sealed, like with an embossing tool, but haven't looked into it further.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to check it out - I read that somewhere too about heat sealing - I think it bled as it was not dry yet - and I have no patience when trying things new - like to make as many mistakes as possible - the last one was dry when I dipped -

    ReplyDelete
  3. couldn't you clear coat the piece once it's dry?? i love working with copper and many like the shiny rather than patina's on it.. so I thought I'd try the inks, dry it with an emboss gun and then clear coat it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. rustoleum krystal clear enamel wont make it run after the ink is dry

    ReplyDelete
  5. cook the piece in a toaster oven at around 180 degrees for about an hour......that seems to stop the bleeding process when clear coated

    ReplyDelete