Sunday, June 5, 2016

Tempered Glass candle holders

Its taken me a while to get started  and the weather has been great for weeks but I just cant get going.....   I scored a big piece of new tempered glass from my local glass/mirror store - they do tub enclosures etc with tempered glass - the factory messed up on sizing  so they gave it to me -  was 90" x 30 and it fit in my car to bring home  - Just !..... otherwise I brought my tarp and nail set and hammer , buckets  to break and take home

Got home laid it out on my tarp - wrapped it up (as it sort of explodes out  and you dont want to have to spend time cleaning up a mess )  just opened the center of tarp enough to place nail set (be sure you have gloves and eye protection just in case )  and it took me three wacks before it shattered  - scooped it up with a dust pan (plastic) and into buckets - got  a full bucket and almost 3/4 in the other - enough to make a few with what I had leftover from last time

I put in pails  - I got this nice plastic container I transfer to and use my brass hammer - the sides of the hammer to pound down any large bits - I do it in layers till its full
I also got a colander with handle to scoop from the dollar store - this allows any glass powder or tiny-small sharp pieces to fall to bottom  so I am getting good chunks only 

so lets recall what I did before

Mix 1 - made 2 cups of product
1 cupA
1 cupB
1/4 c (just under) methyl Hydrate to thin it down

results -were amazing -
way too much mix left over
too thin - a lot accumulated at bottom
had to use a 4-1/4 x 4-1/4 tile  is supposed to be 5x5  this gives you more of a center to your candle so you can place a glass container in (remember epoxy is flamable ) this one had a very tight center

Mix 2 - made 1 cup of mix
1/2 cupA
1/2 cupB
1/4 c *just under) methyl Hydrate to thin it down

Again results amazing
still too much mix left over
too - thin - probably should have reduced on this mix by 1/2
used 4-1/4 x 4-1/4 tile
center was better but still not big enough
still too thin - a lot accumulated at bottom

TODAYS EXPERIMENTS

Mix 3  1/2 cup of mix
1/4 cup A
1/4 cup B
approx 1/8 or 1/2 of the 1/4 cup of methyl hydrate
changes :
cut a 5 x 5 piece of glass and ground the edges so nothing sharp
bought some glass vases/holders  - not too tall  but a good size to fit within the 5 x 5 tile  - this will guarantee a place to put a candle - dollar store


so I filled about 1/4  of the pail with glass maybe a little more - I wanted the top of the glass holder to be close to the top of the pail
I placed the glass holder in and pushed down so its sitting in the glass - then filled in around it


make sure right up to the top 
then put the 5 x 5 glass piece on and push down and settle in place you want the glass around it to be even with the base 


now we mix 
I found with this small qty  that a water bottle will work - have lots around so I just cut the top off 
measure 1/4 c water mark then another 1/4c and mark 
clean out and dry (make sure its dry do not have any water in the container - it will affect the mix )
I use the end of a wooden spoon specifically marked for this mix - then wipe off with paper towel once I finish mixing 

then pour as usual and push to sides with cardboard or hard piece of plastic as per original instructions



Mix 4 - 1/2 cup of mix
1/4 cup A
1/4 Cup B
1 tbsp of methyl hydrate
5 x 5 glass tile cut
glass holder for center

Mix 5 - 1/2 cup of mix
1/4 cup A
1/4 cup b
no methyl hydrate
the mix seems thin enough but wanted to really see how far it will drip down
this way between the 1/8 cup   and 1 tbsp I can figure out what I may need


Pictures of results tomorrow





1 comment:

  1. Exciting stuff! Looking forward to the "after" pictures!

    ReplyDelete